Updating Validity

I have a question regarding license validity. Our use case is that when a customer places an order with us, we automatically create their license and set its validity to 30 days. Upon receipt of payment of that order, we extend the license for the full term of their order (typically 365 days). If the customer activates the license before we need to extend it (ie in the first 30 days) then this is easy for us to handle as we simply extend the license via the extend endpoint. The issue we have is if the license is not yet activated, it doesn’t appear we have a way to handle this. I would have expected the update license endpoint to have the ability to change the license validity but appears not. Any recommendations on how we can handle this use case? We need the ability to ship the license key on receipt of the order but the only way i can see to handle this is to to replace the license key with a new one…not ideal.

Hi @aashbyclarke

Thank you for reaching out!

If the license is not activated yet, you can still extend its validity, and the update will reflect once it’s activated. There’s no need to replace the license key.
Please refer to this link for more clarity: https://forums.cryptlex.com/t/extending-non-activated-licenses-with-delayed-expiration-strategy/1811

Hi @AneesKhan thanks - I had seen that post but it referred to “renewing” the license which was not suitable for me as the amount i needed to extend the license was not divisible by the original validity. I have however tested extending it via the API (the web gui does not seem support extending when not activated, it is greyed out) and then activating the license and it did indeed take so thanks for this.

The only main issue I see now is there is no obvious way of seeing that this has applied to the license as the response from the extend API does not show anything of relevance as “expiresAt” is still null and of course the validity is fixed to the original configuration so you only know its been done when its activated - I assume this is stored somewhere since it works, but its not exposed to the API anywhere…?

A wider issue, but I do think it would be better if the validity of a license could be changed before a license is activated, is there a technical reason this is blocked? Our internal team have also fed back that they find this frustrating when they accidentally create a license with the wrong validity, they cannot edit it and have to remove the key and start again.

Thanks!

Hi @aashbyclarke

The “Delayed” leasing strategy means that the license expiration period begins once it is first activated. While the API provides the ability to extend the license validity, this functionality is not available through the GUI. The expiresAt property will not reflect any changes as of now.

The validity feature is going to be deprecated soon, as we are moving to Subscriptions, which will not include these limitations.

Thank you!