More info on allowed IPs in floating licenses

If I want to apply IP access restrictions by range, what should the range string look like? Say for example the range is 123.45.678.1 through 123.45.678.20. Would the range string be 123.45.678.1-123.45.678.20 or 123.45.678.1-20 or something else? If I don’t need to be quite so specific can I use wildcards, such as 123.45.678.*?

In a topic a few years ago you said that it is only necessary to block the public IP address. So if I know the domain name, can I just ping it and then block the IP address that is reported by ping? Will that then block all traffic from all machines hosted on that domain?

Hi Gary,

Are you making LexFloatServer available on internet and want to block access from some IPs over internet?

If yes, LexFloatServer will only see the public IP of the clients, and blocking public IP should be enough.

blockedIps: [] takes an array of IP addresses.

No, sorry, I should have been more specific. This is about setting IP ranges in cloud-hosted licenses. But I have answered my own question. Your license dashboard app tells me that I need to use CIDR format ranges, and simple testing with my own company’s domain IP and my own IP shows that we can’t use an organization’s domain IP to choose suitable ranges to allow.

To add to this: our use case, simply put, is how do we effectively apply access control to a cloud-hosted license? In a situation where valid users can be working from the office or home or somebody else’s home or a hotel or a mobile hotspot, IP-based limitation is not very practical. What is recommended to allow an enterprise to control who is able to use their license?

Gary,

We recently added proper support for named user licenses. Instead of exposing the licence key, implement the login flow.

This can help in adding access control in the hosted floating licence key.

Regards,
Adnan

Thanks Adnan. I will look into it.