Un-expire existing licenses

In Cryptlex, let’s say we have 100 existing licenses for an existing product. Most or all of these licenses were originally made to expire in 365 days from creation. They were created at different times over the year. Some licenses are now expired, others are active.

However, this means that to ensure continual license validity, we developers, or our end users, need to manually keep tabs of many upcoming expiry dates, and renew accordingly.

Now instead, we want to change the way these existing licenses work, so that these licenses continue to be valid uninterruptedly, until we developers manually cancel an individual subscription.

In this specific scenario, we are thus looking to once manually batch-apply a de-expiration via the admin dashboard GUI or the web API, and then not have to bother again with manual license renewal.

• What are the preferred ways of doing this?

Hi @Matheron ,

Thank you for reaching out!

One option to streamline your process is to utilize our REST API for the automation of license renewal or extension. This approach can significantly reduce manual intervention.

Alternatively, you have the option to bulk extend the licenses by 10-20 years, providing a long-term solution without the need for frequent renewals.

Thank you!

Thank you.

I understand that I can batch-set a long expiry period via the GUI, or, via Rest API either batch-set a long expiry period or automatic renewals. This could be a pragmatic solution.

However, in both this scenario and future applications, we are also interested in a principled solution.

When we create new licenses, Cryptlex allows us to set their expiry period to “Lifetime”, i.e. to no expiration at all, or, to a specific expiry period.

Now consider the case of editing licenses already issued and in use.

• How may we turn existing expiring licenses into real lifetime licenses which never expire, and vice versa – how may we turn existing lifetime licenses into expiring licenses?

Or should we consider a Cryptlex license, once created, forever locked to its initial expiry period?

Currently, Validity is a non-editable property which means that you cannot change the validity of a license once it is created.

So, as per the current GUI behaviour, you can bulk extend a license by any desired value or you can choose to make use of our REST API to automate the license extension/renewal process.

However, in both this scenario and future applications, we are also interested in a principled solution.

I appreciate your suggestion for a more comprehensive solution for this and future use cases. I will be sure to share your input with our product team.

Thank you, now I understand current options.

Perhaps Cryptlex may have technical reasons to lock license validity.

But as business models and technical infrastructure models change over time, so do the requirements of licenses. We would like to edit existing licenses’ validity.

So, from our perspective as software vendors, it would be useful to not be forever locked to existing licenses’ originally set validity.

Yes, please consider adding license validity editing to Cryptlex.

I will ensure to keep you posted here.

Thank you!

Great, thank you very much for your help.