Trial Extension and License queries

Hi Support,

I have few queries/request

1. We run our product as service as needed may run as manual. When we run as service and activate license and then when we start manually by a command bin/app. the license shows as not activated. We give a free edition if no license. hence a product switches back to free edition. Are you restricting license with respect to linux user?

2. When can we generate a trial extension. We tried to generate one and activate before trial expires. activation fails. We will test out if it can be activated after normal trial expires. but can you let us know the flow?

3. Is there any trial extension automation coming in future (feature request)? this will be used by us from our admin page. we have automated most of the things for our admin. except trial extenson automation

Hi,

If your app runs as a root user then you would have passed LA_SYSTEM flag in SetVersionGUID() function, which means license data is stored for root user only. So user will need to activate it for every user on the machine. Same license key can be used for the same as machine is same.

2. When can we generate a trial extension. We tried to generate one and activate before trial expires. activation fails.    We will test out if it can be activated after normal trial expires. but can you let us know the flow?

It only works after the trial expires.

1. Is there any trial extension automation coming in future (feature request)? this will be used by us from our admin page. we have automated most of the things for our admin. except trial extension automation.

Will add it to the web API soon, you can expect the feature in two weeks time.

Hi,

Trial extension API is available now. You can refer to help section for details.

Hello,

There is something I don’t understand. I am running some tests and the trial has expired. I would like to extend it but I get the following message when I try to generate an extension key:

“Total number of trial extensions must not exceed total number of trial activations.”

I guess I have 0 trial activation since the only one I have is labeled “expired” but how can I extend then?

Thank your for your answer.

The number of trial extensions you create should not exceed number of trial activations. Did you create a trial extension before?

I did, but I can’t tell if it is for the expired trial I have listed or another one that I have already deleted.

So now I assume that the trial activation count is back to 0 and then I cannot extend it.

For a while this issue was gone but lately it came back worst.
I cannot seem to be able to generate any trial extension trough the website anymore. I get the following error:

Total number of trial extensions must not exceed total number of trial activations.

I did not try trough the API has I don’t have a platform to do so.

Could you please explain how trial extensions are supposed to work. The way I understand it, you can generate a one time use key that you give to your customer to extend their trial period. If the trial extension expires, then you can generate another key to extend it and so on. You probably don’t extend forever as at some point you want the customer to purchase a license key.
If I have 2 expired trials, I should be able to generate aty least a key but I get that error.

The issue is fixed now, we have increased the limit to allow for more trial extensions.

I have been struggling with trial extensions for a while. I thought it was a problem with my code but it might actually be something else.

I am still using Cryptlex V2.X so it might be irrelevant with the latest version…

Today I realized that when you try to extend a trial with the web interface, the number of days you set on the Trial Extension Length is not starting from today. It is from the day it expired. If the license has expired 15 days ago, to extend it by 1 day, I need to set 16 days and not just 1. If I just set 1 day, the license will still show has expired but 14 days ago instead of 15. This seems to be very strange behavior.

The problem is that on the web interface, there is basically no way to know which trial belong to which customer as there is only Date Activated, Country, Status, Time Left. So if you want to give a trial extension key to someone you have to know when his license expired. Quite inconvenient.
I think a trial extension key should just extend the trial from the moment it is generated to the end of the number of days added for simplicity.

Also when you enter a number of days that will actually go beyond the number of days the trial has been expired for, and then change the status to Activated, the API still returns LA_T_EXPIRED and not LA_OK. This is why I did not figure this out before.

Is this behavior by design or is it a bug?

Yes, it is the behaviour in v2, though it has been changed in v3 where it adds days starting from day it is extended.

This is by design in v2 and can’t be changed.

This was by design, due to some design limitations.

Thank you for the answer.
Until I migrate to the V3, is there a way to know the start date / expiration date so I can calculate how many days I need to add to on top of the standard 30days?

Other than dashboard, in v2 you can’t know the creation/expiration date. But finding which trial belongs to which user in v2 in itself is not easy through dashboard.

You can store these dates in your app based on when you called ActivateTrial() or IsTrialGenuine() returned LA_EXPIRED.

In v3 you have GetTrialExpiryDate() function, but we don’t have any plans to back-port it to v2.