New Metadata "View Permissions"

I see you have released the ability to control permissions over license metadata to enable viewing of this in the customer portal, which is great, thanks!! Unfortunately it is caused us a lot of unnecessary work now that we have to manually set the permissions for every metadata field on every license we create manually. Is there plans to add this to the license template policy so that it can be set on a global level rather than having to it manually for every license?

Hi @aashbyclarke

Thank you for sharing your feedback, I will forward it to our team and will keep you posted.

Thank you @AneesKhan . As I say, the new functionality is great but it is very tedious to have to set this for all metadata now (when it could easily be implemented in the license template functionality). We had issues when it was first introduced that licenses were being created without anything set and they would not work since you need to have the “activation” permission set, took us a while to figure out what was going on!

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I use the license metadata field to hold a key/value pair for folks to demo aspects of the licensed product. If the “activate” permission is not set, the key value pair is not retrieved and seems to report no error, just nothing happens. Setting the activate permission does work, however, not right away. It seems the licensed product needs to be restarted first and then it works.

Before I could enter the key value pair and the licensed product demo feature would work right away without a restart.

Maybe I am missing something?

kind regards,
Mitch

Hi @Mitchco,

Metadata will be visible to the LexActivator SDK via GetLicenseMetadata() function only when the permission is set to “activation”, otherwise, the error code 68 LA_E_METADATA_KEY_NOT_FOUND will be returned.

Changes made on the server side will only reflect on the client machine after a server sync succeeds.
In your case, restarting the application is triggering a call to IsLicenseGenuine() at startup, initiating the server sync, thus allowing the changes to take effect.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks Anees.

Previously, the metadata was available immediately. Now, I have to force the user to restart the application for the metadata to take effect. Is there a way for the user to not have to restart the application?

Kind regards,
Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Metadata is only available immediately if it was added to the license before the license was activated. This has been the behaviour always.