LA_E_COUNTRY error when there shouldn't be

I have client who has previously activated then deactivated their license in both Canada and the US but is now getting LA_E_COUNTRY whenever they try to activate. The license has available activations, has no values for Allowed or Disallowed Countries (i.e., should be valid in all countries), and there is no local activation data on their machine.

I don’t see anything on the dashboard which might help with failed activations and am unsure how to investigate this. Please help, thanks!

Hi Daniel,

Can you share the license key? When did this happen?

Regards,
Adnan

Hi Adnan,

This happened several times in the last 24 hrs. I can find out the exact times if needed but between 3:00 yesterday and 12:00 today UTC.

The two keys they have and tried are 994BED-C7D0BC-4BAAA9-F57D02-98F4A2-8058FA and D32C7E-0B66D8-407E9D-8E28A3-4AE813-496151.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Is your customer still facing the issue? Can you ask your customer to try again?

Regards,
Adnan

Hi Adnan,

I am waiting for more info from my client. They are travelling and have not been able to re-test.

Is there anything on your end that may have caused this? Or anything else I can look into on my end?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Adnan,

I still haven’t heard anything from the initial affected client but now I have someone else reporting the same error. The new affected license is B67A63-ADB6C5-456C89-AF2EE1-C85952-E76565.

They had previously activated on this machine and the only recent change is that they expired and after we extended the license they get this error.

Any info or updates would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

We can see in the server logs that activation failed due to country error. Can you share your license details? There must allowedCountries or disallowedCountries set.

Hi Adnan,
We don’t have any values set for either. My understanding was that this would allow usage in all countries. Also, nothing in the policy or license details changed though we would have extended the license using the web API.
Any ideas on how I could investigate this?

Daniel,

Please send the license id of the current license along with an access token with permission license:read and one day expiry to support@cryptlex.com.

Hi Adnan,

We actually figured it out and it was a bug on our end. We were accidentally setting the allowed countries field to [""], i.e. an array with a single empty string. I didn’t see this on the dashboard as it’s not a valid country.

We will fix this on our end but I thought you should know that this appears to be the cause and there is no validation on the web API to ignore this when setting the allowed/disallowed countries.

Thanks for your help with this!
Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel,

Will get that checked.