General Lexfloatserver question

Hi,

I’m testing the float server and client. It works great for the purpose of using licenses on a single network. I assumed that the floating licenses would also cover the home/office use issue. I’ve got clients who have a home and office pc and want to use their single license on both machines. The regular license is inconvenient as you need to deactivate/activate to move a license from one pc to the other.

I’m wondering if the floating licenses are able to do this. Both pc’s would have the lexfloatserver running with the same product.dat and the same product key. The user can then lease a license from both machines. Assuming the product key allows 1 activation, the user can either lease a license on the home or office pc. But he is flexible where he uses this single activation and doesn’t need to deactivate/activate a node locked license.

But when testing this, it appears as it’s not possible to have two lexfloatservers running on different machines but for the same product. Is this correct, or am I testing in a wrong way?

Hi,

LexFloatServer should be activated on a machine which user can access from home as well as office, that way your use case can be achieved. LexFloatServer can be used over internet.

LexFloatServer is also node locked to machine it is activated on. You need two keys for two LexFloatServer instances.

Thanks,
when you say it can be used over the internet I assume it should use a stable ip address right? Could you point me in the right direction to get this done? I’m not very familiar with network stuff.

I activate and start the lexfloatserver on a local machine. How do I make that IP reachable through the internet, moving through at least a router and firewall?

Hi,

You just need to ensure that LexFloatServer is installed on a machine with public ip address. Then you can use the public ip address of the machine to access LexFloatServer

I’m investigating if it’s possible to run this in the cloud, e.g. on an Azure VM. The VM can have a public ip address and it should be possible to run a service on the VM. Do you see any objections against this?

LexFloatServer should not be run inside a VM as it can be cloned. This would allow your customers to lease more licenses.

Our other customers are using Dedicated machines in cloud as provided by AWS etc. to the host LexFloatServer in cloud.

ok, that makes sense. Thanks