For floating license, what will happen if the client machine is cloned after a license is leased?

Hello,

For floating license, what will happen if a client machine is cloned after a license is leased to the machine?
In that case, both of the original one and cloned one will likely to have valid leased license right after cloned.

Will LexFLoatingClient and LexFloatingServer be automatically notice such cheating and unlease both of licenses right away?
If it is not a right away, how long will it take to notice such cheating and unlease by itself?

Please let me know.

LexFloatClient unlike LexActivator is session based and stores all the data in memory(ram) so cloning the client won’t let the user cheat.

That sounds perfect.

Just in case…

I’m not super familiar with cloud machines, but there’s no way for users to clone the machine state including entire memory in Azure or AWS? Usual virtual machine like VMWare or Virtual Box supports it as snapshot.

What will happen if users snapshoted the machine state including memory, and run new VM based on that snapshot?
I think technically it is possible. (IP address or Mac address could conflict tho doing so…)

LexFloatServer detects such case and reject one of them?

In case memory state is also cloned, then LexFloatServer won’t differentiate between the two, even though IP address is different.

We can add an check for IP Address too, if that is a concern.

Yes, please add an IP address check to avoid such cheating. (Or, duplicated client check if it is detectable also works)
We need to strictly control how many instances of our software they can use at the same time due to licensing reason.

If you guys have ETA, please also let me know.

Thank you very much for consideration and quick action.