Fingerprint strategy to use with Web API on iOS

Hello,

Given that LexActivator is not available on iOS, the Web API must be used directly. Can you please advise a way to get an appropriate fingerprint to use with the Web API that is compatible with the latest iOS?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Please refer to the following for IOS fingerprinting:

Can you specify exactly which approach is best suited towards use with Cryptlex licensing? Following the article I notice the following limitations with each technique listed:

• IDFV: changes on app reinstalls. This means that users will have to deactivate their activation based on their previous IDFV somehow.
  • IDFA: reports to users that the app supports advertising (we don’t like this as we don’t have any ads), and can be overriden by the user in some app settings.
  • Manual fingerprinting: complex and prone to failure.

Thanks!

Apple doesn’t like external licensing for iOS so makes it difficult. It’s not easy for normal users to change the advertising id, and using it’s sha256 hash as a fingerprint is a good candidate. In case it changes, the activation needs to be deleted in the dashboard to unlock the node. And if you are using a hosted-floating license then you have no problems using this ad id.

Hey Adnan,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately advertising ID for us is a no go. The visibility of the ad tracking in the app, as well as the ability of users to reset their advertising ID make this fingerprinting approach unusable for us.

Without a stable fingerprinting strategy, I’m afraid to say that Cryptlex is unusable on iOS.

Are you considering iOS support in a future release of the Cryptlex libraries?

Thanks!

Hi,

Nowadays the standard practice seems to generate a uuid and store it in the keychain. You can use following library for the same:

LexActivator is now available for mac M1, which means it should be easier to port it to ios now. Though we would need some help in case you want to volunteer.

Regards,
Adnan

Hi,

iOS support is now available for LexActivator. Please contact us at support@cryptlex.com in case you want access to early builds.

Regards,
Adnan

That’s great news! I’ll be investigating shortly.

Appreciate the release.