Cannot change the floating property of meter attributes in existing licenses

Why can we not update this property in existing licenses? It means that users with legacy licenses are forced to see the new server behaviour and we have no way to revert them to the old behaviour without issuing new licenses. It’s not a big deal now because we haven’t made a commercial release of Cryptlex-licensed code yet, but in the future if we wish to change the value of this property because we’ve changed how our code does licensing, we will be forced to issue new licenses to all customers. This seems overly restrictive.

Hi Gary,

This is a temporary limitation and will change in the future. We need more feedback from customers on the expected behavior when the meter attribute type is changed.

For example, for a hosted-floating license if the meter attribute say allowed_reports (non-floating) has a current value of 100, and there is no active activation what would happen if it is converted to a floating meter attribute. Should the current value reset or remain as such?

The counting method in both the types is different. Floating meter attributes use activation uses count to get the current value of total activations, so if activation is deleted the total uses count auto-decrements.

I guess allowing deletion of meter attributes makes more sense in this case and would suffice in your case too. That is on the roadmap.

I see the point you’re making. And I agree that for my use case, if I could reset Total Uses to zero at the same time as changing the meter attribute type, then I could get the result I want.

So in terms of customer feedback, I ask for more freedom to mess around with my licenses via api PATCH requests. Let me reset Total Uses. Let me delete metadata keys and meter attributes. The server may need a few more error checks in case an application tries to make some call on metadata or meter attributes that no longer exist; and anything else that goes wrong is my fault and for me to deal with in my applications.

Hi Gary,

We will add support for updating/deleting metadata/meter-attributes.

Regards,
Adnan

Hi Gary,

We have added support for deleting/resetting meter attributes/metadata fields.

Regards,
Adnan